Sunday, June 1, 2008

1993 - Writing "Walk on the Great Path" (3)

In my opinion, I wouldn't be able to write a book on my own. I hoped that there could be a few persons who could write it together. An old student of Master Wang took a look at the table of content of "Walk on the Great Path" and said, "You will be lucky to finish all this in your lifetime." Another friend took the table of content away one evening and in the next morning, not even 6 a.m yet, came and knocked on my door. He said after reading the table on content, he was too excited to sleep the night before and he just wanted to come over and tell me that "Write it quickly." I was very touched by his enthusiasm.

It became obvious that no one was going to help me write it and so even though I was very unwilling, I began writing. In Oct 1992, my daughter was born. A month later, I sent my wife and my daughter to my mother's place. I asked for 3 months of vacation to concentrate on the book.

I didn't know how other people write a book. I locked myself at home for three months. Sometimes I would write it sitting down, other times I was writing standing up and sometimes I wrote it when I was crouching. The only thing that didn't stop was my hand writing furiously.

The three months as an "author" brought me two irreplaceable damages :

(1) Taking a long vacation time during the grace period of my job meant that I was downgraded two levels in the pay scale permanently.

(2) The new boss in my division wanted me to go back to work, I didn't comply and so he said a lot of bad things about me behind my back to the higher up management. It damaged my relationship with others in the company.

The proverb said that "Loss in one area will be complemented by gain in other", therefore i didn't think much of it.

Three months was quite long, towards the end, I was really unable to write anymore. So I stopped and went to work again. In the next three months, I used my spare time to complete the rest the book. I printed the manuscripts and asked my friend to bring it to Master Wang.

No comments: