Sunday, June 1, 2008

1990 - Discussion of Dao at the Police University (7)

In our long discussions, Master Wang told me stories of the Eight Immortals. He said, "When the eight immortals were in the learning stage, there were Master - Disciples relationships. When they achieved immortal status, they call each other friends. Do you understand?" He also said, "When there are other people around us, don't think much of my attitude to you, our relationship will continue for a much longer time to come. Some people will only get to see me once in their life, I must treat them passionately, especially old people and children, then it's women and you guys are last." Master Wang has very good social skills, everyone who has ever met him has very good opinion of him, his great charisma is unforgettable.

Talking about friends, there was another incident. In 1992, there was a "Lao Tze Teaching Study Group" in Xian, a university professor asked for Master Wang's autograph. I know Master Wang doesn't like his photos to be taken with other people and he is even more unwilling to sign his autograph. But since that was an university professor, he had agreed. I took that opportunity to also ask for Master Wang's signature. He looked at me and smiled. He wrote this on his paper:

"My daoist friend Shen Zhigang, please enlighten me. Wang Liping."

I was very emotional when I saw that, I told him, "How can you write that? I can't possibly accept this." He just answered, "It's fine just like this."

When I was in middle school, college and when I started working, there had always been a teacher who helped me along. They help me solved difficult problems in those times. In the journey of my life, Master Wang has taught me, protected me and helped me. I came to understand deeper the meaning of the word "teacher", he is the teacher of my life.

No comments: