Sunday, May 4, 2008

1988 - Sealed my fate with Dao at Louguan (4)

All these wonderful experiences at Louguan were great but what impacted me the most, and I can even say what changed the course of life, was another incident. At the time, the living condition at Louguan was less than desirable. There was only one public restroom for everyone, so I decided to Bi Gu (*). In the afternoon one day, after the lunch break I wanted to use the restroom, when I walked there I saw an old lady leaning against the wall. I thought she must be waiting to use the restroom but suddenly she collapsed. I quickly went to help her but she was already unconscious. I asked a few people to come and help me to move her to a nearby room. Many people then came to help us, some tried to revive her with first aid and some went to look for medicine etc. Not long afterward, Master Wang walked in and solemnly said "Get her to the hospital." Someone managed to get hold of a car and a few of us carried her inside. After we arrived at the hospital, I carried her on my back to the ER. The doctor on duty did some diagnosis and said, "She is already dead, we won't accept her here.". With no other choice, we carried her to another hospital. We didn't mention that she is already dead and asked for first aid, after some diagnosis the doctor said, "The patient is already dead." We asked what should we do and the doctor said "How can we do anything? Just send her to the morgue". We did what we were told.

I didn't think much about this incident at the time, I just felt that this was the right thing to do. After I got back to the seminar, i quickly immersed back into the practice again. However, some students had very strong reactions, someone said "Carried a dead person before marriage will get haunted by ghost all life!". The Taoist master at Louguan said after he heard this "This is a good child. The good child has great moral, no disaster will happen." He penned four words "Dao Fa Zhi Yeng" (Translator's note : roughly translate to The divine art of Dao) for me as a memento. The Shannxi Daoist Association buried the old lady as a daoist practitioner and they pray and perform rituals for her every year.

(*) Bi Gu : means literally to avoid grains. A daoist practice where the practitioner stopped eating for an extended period of time.

No comments: