From Oct. 22 1998 - Nov. 11 1998, the Hunan Province Taoyuan County Qigong Science Research council and the Taoyuan Ling Bao Tong Zhineng Neigong Shu Study Group invited Shen Laoshi to organize the Third Channel Small Heavenly Orbit Study Seminar. The location was at the Daoist 35th Cave Heaven - the Taoyuan Temple in Shangri-La.
There were 38 students, 13 had already attained Channel SHO, 25 hadn't yet. Students came from Beijing, Shenyang, Xian and Taoyuan. The oldest was 80 and the youngest was 15. Average age was 43.
(2) Seminar structure.
The structure was the same as the first study group. It was a closed-door enhanced and specialized study group. The lectures, daigong and all practice were organized around the sole purpose of attaining the Channel SHO. Students practice Ping Peng Gong in the morning and the evening. Sitting practice in late morning and mid-afternoon, Stars Formation and Sleeping practice at night. 10 hours of actual practice time per day.
(3) Teaching Methods.
Shen Laoshi was responsible for all lectures and daigong. Students were required to keep a detailed practice diary to be turned in at the end of the seminar.
The weather was great, ideal for cultivation study.
After 15 days of high impact and tough practice. 10 persons attained Channel SHO, a success rate of 40%.
Looking at the result. The students could be classified into three types. Those who didn't attain the Channel SHO. Those who attained the Channel SHO in this seminar. Those who attained it before this seminar.
Type 1. Those who didn't attain the Channel SHO. They could further be classified into three groups.
Group 1: 3 Students who didn't practice at home regularly. They almost had no foundation, therefore they weren't psychologically and physiologically prepared for the high impact practice and the strong qi field. Pain and tiredness were common among these students.
Group 2: 7 students who did practice at home and who had some good foundation in sitting still but who were either old or had health issues, or who misunderstood the methods or who weren't prepared mentally. They were still some distance away from being able to attain the SHO.
Group3: 5 students who practiced at home regularly, who had some good foundation already. They should be ready to take the crucial next step. Unfortunately they had psychological obstacles that prevented them from leaping into the new level.
Type 2. Those who attained the Channel in this seminar.
(1) 10 out of 25 students(40%) attained Channel SHO which was a fantastic proportion. This showed again that group practice is a reliable way to open up the SHO.
(2) 80 years old student Mr. Yang from Xian attained SHO in the 2nd day of the seminar. This broke the previous age record of 78 years old from the first seminar. This showed that elderly can also attain the SHO as long as the method is right.
(3) Two sisters who learnt Ling Bao Tong from Master Wang in 1993 and 1998 were among the students in this seminar. Since their uncle attained SHO in the first seminar, they were convinced to attend this class. They both had kids that were under 1 year old and they need to breastfeed their children during the seminar. Because of the inconvenience, they reluctantly sent their kids home early. In the 7th and the 9th day, they both successfully attained the Channel SHO. I thought alot about this and I believe that it is very likely that a woman who is in lactation phase can attain SHO much easier than others. Because in traditional Chinese medical theory, women who haven't reach menopause have their xiantian yuen qi circulate to the lower half of their body and it will be lost as it will be converted into menstrual blood. For women during lactation, the xiantian yuen rises from their center and convert into milk. This is very similar to the process in the first four levels described in the "Nu Dan Gong", i.e. the level of "Slaughter the Red Dragon" in which the menstrual blood is converted into qi which then rises and entered the Ru Xi point and the breasts, which then initiate the River Car and circulate in the SHO. During lactation phase, the period stopped and the yuen qi rises automatically to the breasts, this is similar to the process described in Nu Dan Gong. So if a woman work on Channel SHO during this time, haveing it opened quickly is not unreasonable.
(4) I found that by working on the "Opening the Channel with External Five Elements" before going into Channel SHO practice can facilitate the process. Once SHO was attained, "Opening the Channel with Internal Five Elements" would also move automatically, very interesting.
Type 3. Forteen students attained Channel SHO in the first seminar, 13 of them attended this seminar. 6 months after their success, they had been improving everyday and they had new discoveries everyday.
(1) People and Trees.
After Channel SHO was attained, there was a deeper connection between the practitioners and the trees during Ping Heng Gong whether it's an mutual exchange of qi or emotions. One could even see the fluctuating qi field of the trees, for example: the qi of the tree rushes up and down in the tree's vertical qi channel; the unevenness of the external qi fields of different species of trees etc.There were two students in the class who could see these phenomenons.
(2) Star Formation Practice.
After Channel SHO is attained, the resonance between the star clusters and the practitioners during Star Formation Practice was greatly enhanced.
(3) Bagua Yi Sphere.
After SHO is attained, the specific qi channels according to the Bagua Yi Ball will be opened. When the qi sphere is formed, it can vary in sizes: it cave be as small as an organ or a point in the meridian, or it could be as big as the entire body. The qi sphere can transform in colour or quality according to rule of the conversion or anti-conversion of the five elements. The sphere can be moved in the meridian and be used to practice TTIM or Nu Dan Gong. It can be shot off into distance or retrieved at will.
(4) The Divine Seven Stars Steps and the Divine Bagua Steps.
When one works on the Seven stars steps and the bagua steps after SHO is attained, the corresponding movement in the energy field can be felt clearly during meditation.
(5) Pulling the "Line of Attribute" and looking at Tian Mu.
After SHO, when one "pull" the neigong line of attribute, one can usually see bright light or see things that happen inside and outside the body.
(6) Practice Yin Xian Fa, TTIM, Nu Dan Gong.
Channel SHO is the fifth method of "Ling Bao Bi Fa". Since the students reached this stage quickly with the help of the teacher's daigong, the foundation would not be strong enough. They must go back and practice Yin Xian Fa, TTIM and Nu Dan Gong in order to accumulate enough internal strength.
When one worked on Yin Xian Fa after attaing SHO, one could go into deep trance quickly. The five elements moved and converted automatically in both directions. One could also easily experience the accompanying sounds, colours and sensations.
During "matching the yin and yang" level of TTIM, one could breath easily through the skin, there are clear communications between different parts of the human body and the universe ; during the level of "dispersion and collection of water and fire", not only can one collect the three yin qi down to the lower tian, but also the qi from Yong Quan ; during the "mating of the dragon and tiger", one can see it happening right inside their own body etc etc all the phenomenons as described in Ling Bao Bi Fa were verified perfectly.
The success rate was 40%, it showed that there are still problems waiting to be solved. I believe they are as follow:
(1) Wrong expectation.
Some students thought that just by attending the seminars, they would be able to achieve SHO without putting into effort.
(2) Lack of Confidence.
After a few failed attempts, some students exclaimed that "This is hopeless, I will never get it!". If one lose the drive to practice, how can they ever expect to succeed ?
(3) Lack of proper understanding of the methods and theory. Some students didn't understand the essence of the method and theory behind Ling Bao Bi Fa, worse, they didn't even ask.
(4) Imperfect teaching materials and arrangement. The seminar concentrated on TTIM and not enough Yin Xian Fa, which is an important step to TTIM. Also advanced students (those with SHO) and less-advanced ones practiced together, this undoubtedly has some negative influence since their needs are different. This problem has to be solved by careful planning of the syllabus and the schedule.