Friday, June 4, 2010

Teaching Experience (5) - Stepping down from the frontline

In 1994 and 1995, Master Wang taught several seminars nationwide. In these seminars, there are several other assistants from Shenyang and Dalian, in order to give them more time to be trained, I purposely remove myself from the "frontline" of teaching.

Even though I have been a teaching assistant for a while but I never forget that I am still a student too, I am still learning from Master Wang. With other assistants who shared my teaching responsibility, I have got some chance to learn, observe, think and cultivate for sessions in the seminars. The main difference from before was that even though I was still tired from the teaching, it wasn't as exhausting as before and I was able to recover more quickly. The strength and penetrative power of my daigong had increased, my ability to control and tune the practice field has also improved, overall I believed that my techniques had matured.

Teaching is an energy depleting process but it's also the way to accumulate knowledge and experience. A huge outflow of my energy also means a huge inflow later, this extreme way of cultivation also meant a special result. However, replenishing the lost energy has always been an easily ignored part of one's cultivation. Many new teachers would do fine in the beginning, but once a little bit too much energy has been lost, they would never recover. How to replenish the lost energy is a must know topic for anyone who teaches internal cultivation, without a solution to this problem, one should never come and teach, else it's just self destruction. Another key point, what is gongfu? One must at least have a little bit of that, gongfu is accumulated through time. Without that, one is playing fire with the body. I have seen to many of these examples and I believe there will be more. Master Wang said, "Without 10 years of gongfu, don't come out to teach." It's wise words, it's also words to protect me from harming myself.

No comments: